Emirates Cup which has been named after the Emirates Airlines, the main sponsor of Arsenal, was inaugurated on July 2007. As the preseason campaign of the European clubs going on, as a part of it, Arsenal is going to play French Ligue 1 side Lyon in the Emirates Cup Final match. The Gunners are having a pretty good preseason campaign as they won 3 out of their last 4 friendly games. After making a good start against Colorado, they went on to beat German giants Bayern Munich and Serie-A club Fiorentina in the International Champions Cup at the US soil. Then they drew with the Galacticos but unfortunately lost at the tiebreaker. Now they are heading back towards home to take on their next opposition Lyon at their own backyard.
- Participating Teams: Arsenal vs Lyon
- Competition: Emirates Cup
- Date: 28 July
- Time: 3:15 pm BST/ 2:15 pm GMT
- Day: Sunday
- Venue: Emirates Stadium
- Location: Holloway, London, England
- Capacity: 60,260
- Surface: GrassMaster
Arsenal Team Squad:
- Goalkeepers: Bernd Leno, Emiliano Martinez, Matt Macey.
- Defenders: Hector Bellerin, Sokratis Papastathopoulos, Laurent Koscielny, Rob Holding, Nacho Monreal, Shkodran Mustafi, Calum Chambers, Konstantinos Mavropanos, Sead Kolasinac.
- Midfielders: Mohamed Elneny, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Mesut Ozil, Lucas Torreira, Ainsley Maitland-Niles, Joe Willock, Matteo Guendouzi, Emile Smith Rowe, Granit Xhaka.
- Forwards: Alex Iwobi, Reiss Nelson, Eddie Nketiah, Gabriel Martinelli, Takuma Asano, Pierre Emerick Aubameyang, Alexander Lacazette.
- Goal Keepers : Ciprian Tatarusanu, Anthony Lopes, Anthony Racioppi.
- Defenders : Joachim Anderse, Youssuf Kone, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, Rafael, Jason Denayer, Marcelo, Fernando Mercal, Kenny Tete, Oumar Solet.
- Midfielders : Jean Lucas, Maxence Caqueret, Ousseynou N’Diaye, Thiago Mendes, Boybacar Fofana, Houssem Aouar, Bertrand Traore, Pape Diop, Leo Dubois, Christopher Martins Pereira, Lucas Tousart.
- Forwards : Martin Terrier, Moussa Dembele, Memphis Depay, Lenny Pintor, Maxwell Cornet, Amine Gouiri.
Arsenal Last 5 Matches:
- 2-2 Draw vs Real Madrid
- 3-0 Win vs Fiorentina
- 2-1 Win vs Bayern Munich
- 3-0 Win vs Colorado
- 3-3 Draw vs Boreham Wood
Lyon Last 5 Matches:
- 3-4 Defeat vs Genoa
- 1-2 Defeat vs Servette
- 3-2 Win vs Nimes
- 4-0 Win vs Caen
- 3-0 Win vs Marseille
Predicted Result : Arsenal 4 – 2 Lyon.
Match Preview: In their previous match, Gunners’ boss Unai Emery fielded his team with a 4-2-3-1 formation. The French manager’s tactics proved to be very useful in the early first half as the North London based club went 2-0 up. But Greek center half Sokratis Papasthathopulous’ sent off on the 40th minute changed the momentum of the game and the 13th time UCL champions came back to draw the game from 2 goals down. Emery rested some key defenders by benching them in the first half. Among the regulars, Granit Xhaka featured in the midfield. But the former PSG boss named all 4 weapons of his
Les Gones lost two friendly games on a row and will be looking for something special to avoid their 3rd successive defeat. Sylvinho as a wide range of options in his squad and the players like Moussa Dembele and Memphis Depay can change any game on it’s head.
My prediction for this game is, no shortage of goals with both the team scoring and resulting as a 4-2 Arsenal victory.