Former English Premier League Champions Leicester City will take on League 2 side Cambridge United in an upcoming friendly match. The fixture has been scheduled to take place on 23rd July. The Abbey Stadium of Cambridge will host the game, which will start on 7:30 pm BST. It is a preseason game and the teams will take it as the warming up one for their seasonal clashes which are not far away. The EPL is set to be kicked off in the early August and all the sides are participating in the friendlies all over the world.
- Teams to Participate: Cambridge United vs Leicester City
- Date: 23 July
- Time: 7:30 pm BST
- Day: Tuesday
- Venue: Abbey Stadium
- Location: Cambridge, England
- Capacity: 8,127
- Surface: Grass
Cambridge United Squad :
- GoalKeepers: Dimitar Mitov, Finley Iron, Kevin Pilkington, Callum Burton.
- Defenders: Greg Taylor, Harrison Dunk, George Taft, Liam O’Neil, Louis John, Hayden Coulson, Harry Darling, Kyle Knoyle.
- Midfielders: Gary Deegan, Paul Lewis, Reggie Lambe, Leon Davies, Brad Halliday, Jake Doyle-Hayes, Ben Worman, Tom Knowles.
- Forwards: Rushian Hepburn-Murphy, Jabo Ibehre, George Maris, Barry Corr, Matthew Foy, Joe Neal.
Leicester City Squad :
- Goalkeepers: Kasper Schemeichel, Danny Ward, Eldin Jakupovic.
- Defenders: Benjamin Chilwell, Wes Morgan, Jonny Evans, Ricardo Pereira, Callum Elder, Harry Maguire, Christian Fuchs.
- Midfielders: James Maddison, Marc Albrighton, Yuri Tielemans, Daniel Amartey, Harvey Barnes, Demarai Gray, Namplays Mendy, Onyinye Wilfred Ndidi, Rachid Ghezzal, Matthew James, Hamza Choudhury, James Justin, Cagler Coyuncu.
- Forwards: Kelechi Iheanacho, Jamie Vardy, Ayoze Perez.
Cambridge United Last 5 Matches:
- 1-1 Draw vs Macc’field (A)
- 1-2 Defeat vs Morecambe (H)
- 1-2 Defeat vs Forest Grn (A)
- 0-0 Draw vs Swindon (H)
- 0-3 Defeat vs Newport (H)
Leicester City Last 5 Matches :
- 0-0 Draw vs Chelsea (H)
- 0-1 Defeat vs Man City (A)
- 3-0 Win vs Arsenal (H)
- 2-2 Draw vs West Ham (A)
- 0-1 Defeat vs New Castle (H)
Predicted Match Result: Cambridge United 1 – 2 Leicester City
Match Preview: A friendly game means lots of shuffling in the squad by the managers and chances for the reserves and the young lads. But that doesn’t mean that the stars won’t feature at all. You are highly paid because of those stars, so the premier league superstars would be on the field for sure.
The home side might go with a 4-4-2 formation. Dimitar Mitov is the most probable starter in between the sticks. Darling and John would occupy the centre half positions with Dunk and Halliday in the left and right side of the defense. Midfield might have consisted of Brown, Taylor, Louis, and Coulson. Jones and Ibehre are most likely to start in front.
Leicester is a balanced side. They have plenty of options. But if their manager goes with a strong starting xi, then Kasper Schmeichel should start as the gloves man. Harry Maguire has been linked with a couple of EPL giants including Man Utd. Ndidi won’t feature after his Africa Nations Cup campaign with the national team. But the likes of Albrighton, Tielemans, Maddison, and Vardy will appear at the Abbey Stadium to give their fans a chance to see them live from the Cambridge based venue.
I expect a narrow victory for the visitors with both sides to score.