2019 gave the FC Barcelona fans yet another occasion to celebrate their league success. The Blaugranas clinched their 26th league title in history. However, they said goodbye to the departing year with the clash against Deportivo Alaves. Now after a break of one and a half week the defending champions are all set to take part in their inaugural game of the new year. However, on a special occasion, they will play a special match against a special opponent. In their opening fixture of 2020, they will take on RCD Espanyol in a match week 19 fixture. Thus both sides will like to begin the year with a victory.
In addition to this, it is going to be a special fixture due to another purpose. Because it will be the prestigious Catalan Derby. The two sides from Catalonia will come face to face for the first time in this season. Thus, the game will not only be played for the 3 points but also for prestige and reputation. Nevertheless, on this occasion, RCD Stadium will have the privilege to host this game.
- Participating Teams: RCD Espanyol vs FC Barcelona
- Competition: Spanish La Liga
- Match Day: 19
- Date: 3rd/4th/5th January 2020
- Time: TBA
- Day: TBA
- Venue: RCDE Stadium
- Location: Cornella and El Prat, Barcelona, Spain
- Capacity: 40,500
- Surface: Grass
- Goalkeepers: Andres, Adrian, Diego Lopez.
- Defenders: Pipa, Naldo, A Pedrosa, Lluiz Lopez, D Vila, Bernardo Espinosa, A Giner, David Lopez, Javi Lopez.
- Midfielders: Matias Vargas, Victor Sanchez, A Iturrapse, S Darder, Oscar Melendo, Alex Lopez, Marc Roca, Esteban Granero, Wu Lei, Nicolas Melamed.
- Forwards: Victor Campuzano, Borja Iglesias, Facundo Ferreyra, Javier Puado, Pablo Piatti.
- Goalkeepers: Marc Andre Ter Stegen, Luis Neto, Inaki Pena.
- Defenders: Gerard Pique, Jordi Alba, Clement Lenglet, Samuel Umtiti, Nelson Semedo.
- Midfielders: Ivan Rakitic, Sergio Busquets, Arthur Melo, Rafnha, Carles Alena, Monchu, Arturo Vidal, Frenkie De Jong, Sergi Roberto.
- Forwards: Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez, Antoine Griezmann, Ousmane Dembele.
Espanyol last 5 Matches (Up to Writing Date):
- 0-2 Defeat vs Valladolid
- 1-1 Draw vs Celta Vigo
- 1-3 Defeat vs Real Sociedad
- 2-1 Win vs Eibar
- 0-3 Defeat vs Granada
Leganes Last 5 matches (Up to the Writing Date) :
- 2-0 Win vs Getafe
- 2-1 Win vs Villarreal
- 0-2 Defeat vs Granada
- 0-3 Defeat vs Villarreal
- 1-2 Defeat vs Real Betis
Predicted Result: Espanyol 0 – 3 Barcelona
Match Preview: As I have mentioned earlier, it is going to be a special match for the teams as well as the fans. Espanyol will try to get the home advantage. But they will definitely play as the underdog. As they will play against a side like Barca, they may play just for a point. So I expect them to play defensive football.
On the contrary, Barcelona will be playing away from the home but they will definitely start as the favorites. They look much stronger on pen and paper. Thus they will certainly eye a win. So I expect their manager to go with attacking tactics.
I can detect a one-sided clash on the card. I also back Barca to keep a clean sheet. Above all, my pick is a comprehensive victory for the visitors.