Sunday afternoon brings a lot of football matches for the fans. The opening weekend of the upcoming La Liga season is also full of clashes. In the 8th match of the match week 1, Catalan side Espanyol will host Sevilla FC. The match will take place on 18th August. The referee will blow the first whistle on 7 pm local time. The match will be hosted by the RCDE Stadium which is also known as the Estadi Cornella-El Prat. The start of the season is very crucial and undoubtedly both the sides will be trying to get a flying start. The Periquitos finished 7th in the league table last season. Meanwhile, their counterparts finished a place above them. So we expect the game to be a cracker.
- Participating Teams: Espanyol vs Sevilla
- Competition: Spanish La Liga
- Match Day: 01
- Date: 18th August
- Time: 6 pm BST/ 5 pm GMT/ 7 pm Local Time
- Day: Sunday
- Venue: RCDE Stadium
- Location: Cornella and El Prat, Barcelona, Spain
- Capacity: 40,500
- Surface: Grass
- Goalkeepers: Andres, Diego Lopez.
- Defenders: Pipa, Naldo, Adria Pedrosa, Lluiz Lopez Marmol, Didac Vila, Bernardo Espinosa, Adria Lopez Garrote.
- Midfielders: Mohamed Ezzarfani, Matias Vargas, Victor Sanchez, Ander Iturrapse, Sergi Darder, Oscar Melendo, David Lopez, Javi Lopez, Alex Lopez, Marc Roca, Esteban Granero, Wu Lei, Nicolas Melamed.
- Forwards: Victor Campuzano, Borja Iglesias, Facundo Ferreyra, Javier Puado, Pablo Piatti.
- Goalkeepers: Tomas Vaclik, Sergio Rico.
- Defenders: Diego Carlos, Nemanja Gudelj, Sebastien Corchia, Simon Kjaer, Sergio Reguilon, Daniel Carrico, Maximilian Wober, Guilherme Arana, Sergio Escudero, Joris Gnagnon.
- Midfielders: Oliver Torres, Sergi Gomez, Roque Mesa, Ever Banega, Joan Jordan, Franco Vazquez, Jesus Navas, Fernando.
- Forwards: Wissam Ben Yedder, Luuk De Jong, Nolito, Munir El Haddadi, Lucas Ocampos, Moanes Dabour, Jules Kounde, Carlos Fernandez.
Espanyol Last 5 Matches:
- 2-0 Win vs Real Sociedad
- 2-0 Win vs Leganes
- 3-0 Win vs Atletico Madrid
- 1-1 Draw vs Real Betis
- 1-1 Draw vs Celta Vigo
Sevilla Last 5 Matches:
- 2-0 Win vs Athletic Bilbao
- 1-1 Draw vs Atletico Madrid
- 0-3 Defeat vs Leganes
- 0-1 Defeat vs Girona
- 5-0 Win vs Rayo Vallecano
Predicted Result: Espanyol 1 – 2 Sevilla
Match Preview: The Catalonia based club has a balanced squad. They are a very good side at their home. Their shot-stopper Diego Lopez is one of the most experienced goalkeepers in the league at the moment. Their manager will apply the 4-3-3 formation most probably in this game. But against a side like Sevilla, they may go with slightly defensive tactics.
Sevilla is one of the top clubs in the Spanish top flight. They are quite consistent as a team. Los Nervionenses’ midfield and the attack is one of the absolute bests in the league. They have got options like Jesus Navas, Ever Banega who are highly creative. French forward Wissam Ben Yedder played amazingly in the previous season and Nolito is another striking specialist. So it is going to be tough for the hosts to stop the duo.
Despite having the home crowd behind their backs, Espanyol needs to play their best football to stop Sevilla from winning. So I’m predicting a 2-1 victory for the visitors.