Villarreal did have a below-average campaign in the last season. They finished 14th in the league. Thus, they failed to qualify for European football. In fact, after six consecutive seasons in the European competitions (either UCL or UEL), they haven’t qualified for the first time since 2011-12. Their shaky performances made the fans disappointed. So they are back this season to get back to the track once again. But somehow their beginning hasn’t been promising as well. Nevertheless, just visiting Catalonia in late September, they are once again ready to have another visit to there within less than a month time. But this time they are all set to take on RCD Espanyol. However, it will be their 5th road game of the season.
Conversely, the Periquitos had an amazing last season and as a reward they gained a spot in the UEL. In fact, they will actually take on the Yellow Submarines just a few days before their trip to the Ludogrets Arena. Thus they will try to fly towards Bulgaria with a happy mind by beating the Yellows.
- Participating Teams: Espanyol vs Villarreal
- Competition: Spanish La Liga
- Match Day: 09
- Date: 18th/19th/20th October 2019 (TBA)
- Time: TBA
- Day: TBA
- Venue: RCDE Stadium
- Location: Cornella and El Prat, Barcelona, Spain
- Capacity: 40,500
- Surface: Grass
- Goalkeepers: Andres, Adrian, Diego Lopez.
- Defenders: Pipa, Naldo, A Pedrosa, Lluiz Lopez, D Vila, Bernardo Espinosa, A Giner, David Lopez, Javi Lopez.
- Midfielders: Matias Vargas, Victor Sanchez, A Iturrapse, S Darder, Oscar Melendo, Alex Lopez, Marc Roca, Esteban Granero, Wu Lei, Nicolas Melamed.
- Forwards: Victor Campuzano, Borja Iglesias, Facundo Ferreyra, Javier Puado, Pablo Piatti.
- Goalkeepers: Sergio Asenjo, Mariano Barbosa, Andres Fernandez.
- Defenders: Raul Albiol, Alberto Moreno, Mario, Alvaro, Ramiro Funes Mori, Victor Ruiz, Jaume Costa, Daniele Bonera.
- Midfielders: Moi Gomez, Ruben Pena, Santiago Caseres, Santi Cazorla, Bruno, Alfred N’Diaye, Samuel Chekwueze, Leo Suarez.
- Forwards: Akram Afif, Gerard Moreno, Enas Unal, Manu Trigueros, Vicente Iborra, Carlos Bacca, Karl Ekambi, Raba.
Espanyol last 5 Matches (Up to Writing Date):
- 0-0 Draw vs Deportivo Alaves
- 0-2 Defeat vs Sevilla
- 2-0 Win vs Real Sociedad
- 2-0 Win vs Leganes
- 3-0 Win vs Atletico Madrid
Villarreal last 5 Matches (Up to the Writing Date) :
- 1-2 Defeat vs Levante
- 4-4 vs Draw Granada
- 2-2 Draw vs Getafe
- 1-0 Win vs Eibar
- 2-3 Defeat vs Real Madrid
Predicted Result: Espanyol 1 – 2 Villarreal
Match preview: The Catalonia based side completely dominated their counterparts in the last 5 meetings. In fact, Villarreal couldn’t even win a single match out of those five clashes. But the Magicos won two of them and managed to draw the other 3 games. In addition to this, the last two meetings at the RCD Stadium, both ended in the hosts’ victory. So it is going to be a tough, tough challenge for the visiting side.
But if we talk about the pressure, that will be definitely on the home side. They will have to travel a long way to Bulgaria just a few days later to take part in their next UEL clash. But Villarreal will feel relieved to not have such kind of extra pressure.
My pick for this game is a 2-1 away victory for Villarreal.