Like all other English clubs, Southampton also taking part in the preseason friendly matches ahead of the fresh new EPL season. The Saints have already featured in 3 friendlies and are yet to taste a defeat, which means they are in pretty good touch. After beginning with a draw against Altach, they won 2 consecutive matches with very good margins against Preston as well as Guangzhou R&F. Now they are heading towards the Netherlands to face Eredivisie side Feyenoord Rotterdam in their 4th match of this campaign. The home side has already played 6 games where despite having a tremendous outset with 3 victories in a row, ‘De Trots Van Zuid’ couldn’t manage to get over the line in the next 3 fixtures. Now the Dutch club will play their very last match against their English counterparts before the start of the fresh new Eredivisie season.
- Participating Teams: Feyenoord vs Southampton
- Competition: Preseason Friendly Match
- Date: 28th
- Time: 1:30 pm BST/ 12:30 pm GMT/ 2:30 pm Local Time
- Day: Sunday
- Venue: Stadion Feijenoord (De Kuip)
- Location: Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Capacity: 51,117
- Goalkeepers: Liam Kelly, Nick Marsman, Kenneth
Vemeer, Justin Bijlow, Elber Evora.
- Defenders: Jeremiah St Juste, Renato Tapia, Calvin Verdonk, Eric Botteghin, Lutsharel Geertruida, Cheick Toure, Ramon Hendricks,
- Midfielders: Bart Nieuwkoop, Jan Arie van der Heijden, Sam Larsson, Tyrell Malacia, Luis Sinisterra, Yassine Ayoub, A Trialist, Steven Berghuis, Orkun Kokcu, Jordy Wehrmann, Jens Toornstra, Wouter Burger, Emil Hansson, Achraf el Bouchataoui.
- Forwards: Sven van Beek, Ridgeciano Haps, Luciano Narsingh, Nicolai Jorgensen, Dylan Vente, Noufal Bannis, Crysencio Summerville, Marouan Azarkan.
Southampton Team Squad:
- Goalkeepers: Angus Gunn, Fraser Forster, Alex McCarthy, Harry Lewis.
- Defender: Jannik Vestergaard, Jack Stephens, Maya Yoshida, Ryan Bertrand. Yan Valery, Jan Bednarek, Cedric Soares, Kayne Ramsay, Wasley Hoedt, Sam McQueen.
- Midfielder: Oriol Romeu, Mohamed Elyounoussi, Stuart Armstrong, James Ward-Prowse, Nathan Redmond, Mario Lemina, Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, Josh Sims, Tyreke Johanson, Callum Slattery, Jordy Clasie, Harrison Reed, Sofiane Boufal.
- Forward: Charlie Austin, Shane Long, Sam Gallagher, Michael
Obafeni, Guido Carrilo, Marcus Barnes, Danny Ings, Che Adams.
Feyenoord Last 5 Matches:
- 2-2 Draw vs Angers
- 0-3 Defeat vs Panathinaikos
- 1-3 Defeat vs Salzburg
- 2-1 Win vs Damstadt
- 2-1 Win vs FC Dordrecht
Southampton Last 5 Matches:
- 4-0 Win vs Guangzhou R&F
- 3-1 Win vs Preston
- 1-1 Draw vs Altach
- 1-1 Draw vs Huddersfield
- 0-3 Defeat vs West Ham
Predicted Result: Feyenoord 2 – 1 Southampton
Match Preview : In the very last match, Jaap Stam went with a 4-3-3 formation against Angers. Vermeer stood between the sticks with St Juste, Botteghin, Van Beek and Haps as the back for in front of him. The midfield trio were Trialist, Toornstra and Kokcu. In the attack Berghuis, Vente and Larsson started on that occasion. Steven Berghuis had an exceptional game to remember as the attacker scored 2 goals for his team and also scored an own goal against his side.
The visitors have some big names in their squad. They have got Fraser Forster with the gloves in hand, James Ward-Prowse, Oriol Romeu in the midfield. But attacker Charlie Austin and Shane Long would be the key for them.
I am predicting a Feyenoord victory with 2-1 margin because home their home advantage.