After a successful Asia tour, English giants Chelsea are now on their way to Europe. Before the start of the English Premier League, the UEFA Europa League holders will take part in 3 friendly matches in the European soil. This phase will start with the match against the Reading F.C. on 28th July. Then the Blues will visit Red Bull Arena to play Salzburg before heading towards Germany to take on Borussia Monchengladbach. The Sunday afternoon clash will start
- Participating Teams: Reading vs Chelsea
- Competition: Club Friendly Match
- Date: 28th
- Time: 3 pm BST/ 2 pm GMT
- Day: Sunday
- Venue: Madejski Stadium
- Location: Reading, Berkshire, England
- Capacity: 24,161
- Surface: SIS Grass
- Goalkeepers: Joao Virginia, Sam Walker.
- Defenders: Matt Miazga, Michael Morrison, Chris Gunter, Liam Moore, Tyler Blackett, John Swift, Omar Richards,
TennaiWatson, Tom McIntyre, Thomas Holmes, Gabriel Osho, Teddy Howe.
- Midfielders: Charlie Adam, Andy Yiadom, David Meyler, Jordan Obita, Yakou Meita, Adrian Popa, Andy Rimonhota, Ryan East, Michael Olise.
- Forwards: Sam
Maldock, Gareth McCleary, Madou Barrow, Sam Smith, Josh Barrett, Danny Loader.
Chelsea Team Squad:
- Goalkeepers: Kepa Arrizabalaga, Willy Caballero, Jamie Cumming.
- Defenders: Antonio Rudiger, Marcos Alonso, Davide Zappacosta, Andreas Christensen, Cesar Azpilicueta, David Luiz, Emerson Palmieri, Ethan Ampadu, Kurt Zouma.
- Midfielders: Jorginho, Danny Drinkwater, N’Golo Kante, Ross Barkley, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Tiemoue Bakayoko, Mateo Kovacic, Marco van Ginkel, Mason Mount.
- Forwards: Pedro, Olivier Giroud, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Willian, Michy Batshuayi, Christian Pulisic.
Reading Last 5 Matches:
- 4-2 Win vs Peterborough
- 0-1 Defeat vs Granada
- 0-1 Defeat vs Lincoln
- 1-0 Win vs Extremadura
- 0-0 Draw vs Malaga II
Chelsea Last 5 Matches:
- 2-1 Win vs Barcelona
- 0-1 Defeat vs Kawasaki
- 4-0 Win vs St Pat’s
- 1-1 Draw vs Bohemians
- 4-1 Win vs Arsenal
Predicted Result: Reading 1 – 3 Chelsea
Match Preview: Reading manager Jose Manuel Gomes went with a 4-3-3 formation against Peterborough. He might go with the same tactics and formation once again. Gunter, Miazga, Moore and Yiadom started as the back four and majority of them are expected to retain their places. Among the other previous starters, Baker, Ejaria and Barrett are the most likely to feature once again from the very first whistle against their top tier oppositions.
The Blues were stunned earlier by Japanese club Kawasaki but soon they managed to recover that wound by defeating UCL semifinalists FC Barcelona. Former Chelsea midfielder, who Frank Lampard who has been recently appointed as the club manager went with a 4-2-3-1 formation. A friendly match means lots of squad shuffling, so the legendary midfield master will probably make some changes, but the stars would feature either from the start or in the second half. Abraham got a goal against the Catalans and should get a go against the Royals. New signing Christian Pulisic would be the key in the attack for the visitors.
I’m predicting a 3-1 victory for the travelling side, with Christian Pulisic providing an assist.